Monday, 3 August 2015

Ready. Set. WRITE! Week #9

Welcome back to Ready. Set. WRITE! My co-hosts, Alison Miller, Katy Upperman, Jaime Morrow, Elodie Nowodazkij, and I hope you’re looking forward to yet another productive summer! If you’re new this year and you’re wondering what RSW is all about, it’s a summer long writing intensive for writing, revising, or planning your WIP. It’s also a way to keep each other accountable. Every Monday we’ll share our posts, keeping them brief in order to maximize our writing time and minimize on blogging. Sign up on the linky at one of the host blogs each week, and remember to visit other participants’ blogs to cheer them on as well. For more info on RSW and a link to our lovely stash of buttons, click here.

How I did on last week’s goal(s)

I wanted to work on revisions for twelve hours, and I spent about fourteen. I also planned to put in at least four hours on querying, and thanks to #MSWL I ended up putting in over six.

My goal(s) for this week

Since 12 hours of revisions and 4 hours of querying seems to be doing the trick, I’m going to stick with that.

A favorite line from my story OR a word or phrase that sums up what I wrote/revised

I stagger to my feet, struggling to stay upright. Then I push off with my boots, thrust myself into the air as hard and far as I can. Black sky soars above me, water glistens green below, and as I plunge through the surface, several blasts shatter the night at once. The force clobbers me, swelling through the water in a powerful wall that bows my spine and smashes me farther out into the lake. Shouting swirls in my skull, murky, too elusive for me to grasp. Underwater, I twist and flail until the harsh current settles. I tear off my mask so I can breathe and break through the surface again.

The biggest challenge I faced this week

Setting up bookshelves in our library (aka the former dining room) took a huge amount of time because: a) we still had over 30 boxes of books left to unpack, b) turns out the floors in 120-year-old houses are horribly crooked and much shimming (not to be confused with shimmying) is required to get shelves even close to level, and c) we ran out of shelf space. Between that, painting the living room (ugh), and working on homeschooling curriculum for this fall, staying up late to write was tough. I am officially fried.

Something I love about my WIP

The romance in my WIP ties in heavily with the sci-fi plot. It’s not this extraneous thing I tossed in there to spice it up. The two go very much hand in hand. I think if a book (outside the romance genre, obviously) is going to have romance—and most of my faves do—that romance should serve an important purpose. In other words, make those kisses count! xxxxx

Which brings me to this…

Once again, guys, thanks so much for your heartening comments, especially on the lines I shared last week. I was nervous to post that particular snippet because I’d never shared part of a kissing scene online before, though I write lots of 'em. The things you said were a big boost to my confidence. I hope I can make all of you feel just as encouraged today. :)

And right on time to show my gratitude, it’s my week to give away a writer’s care package to one lucky participant. Remember to enter the Rafflecopter below for a chance to win a box full of fun goodies. You get one vote for each week of RSW participation, and the contest is open internationally.



Here’s what my parcel contains:

● “Embrace the Journey” journal with cork cover
● “Enjoy the Little Things” notepad
● Ink Joy mini pens
● 2 pack of “Write On!” mini notebooks
● Scrabble pencils that say: jot, note, write, create, compose, and inscribe
● “Do One Thing Every Day That Makes You Happy” pencil case
● 2 packs of paperclips shaped like rabbits and crocodiles
● manicure kit
● Eos Fresh Flowers hand lotion
● Revlon Fashionista nail polish (teal)
● David’s Pom Tango tea  (makes 34 oz.)
● Strawberry Fusion TicTacs
● Cadbury Jelly Popping Candy chocolate bar
● Trident Very Berry gum

Good luck and have a fantastic & productive week!


a Rafflecopter giveaway

21 comments:

  1. Great work last week! I'm sorry I didn't get to stop by and spread love last week. Looks like it went well though whoohoo! Keep up the great work. Your clip sounds interesting and yay for romance being tied in :)

    The package looks super cute! Good luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Books are always great until it comes to finding space for them... Hope you can wrangle yours and your bookcases into behaving! Congratulations for meeting all your goals, and good luck with this week. :)

    As always, I absolutely love that excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! Is your character OK? What happened? Enquiring minds (mine in particular) want to know!!

    Yup, that excerpt hooked me :) Well done on your goals! You are really in the groove. Keep it up!

    Our house also has crooked floors, and shimming (totally not as fun as shimmying) is such a pain. Whenever we do anything like that I start reciting "there was a crooked man, and he walked a crooked mile..."

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's see some pics of your library :)

    Your writing snippets always leave me wanting to read more!



    ReplyDelete
  5. You are crushing your goals, lady! So proud of you! And overflowing bookshelves is always a problem in our house. I just go through from time to time and donate to the high school. Hope you have another great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're doing AMAZING!!! And I'm with Jennifer, I'd love to see pics of your library ;) Cheering you on, Erin (and I have to go check out that kiss scene, for some reason I didn't make it to your blog last week. Weird))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would totally be fried too. But you're still hitting those goals, so go you! And I love your new profile pic, your hair is so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to have nightmares about your snippet - so intense!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your excerpt is gorgeous as usual, Erin. Also, I love what you said about romance serving the plot. You should do a full blog post on that topic! Totally understandable that you're worn out. Moving is rough, but having to paint and do house prep on top of the unpacking? I can't even imagine! I think you deserve a break, lady. Still, best of luck meeting your goals this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to see your library, too! Also, just that you have 30 boxes of books is so freaking awesome.

    Your sample is so full of tension. I wish you so much luck querying, Erin. It won't be long for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome job smashing your goals out of the water this week! I, too, got sucked into #MSWL last week. :D

    Nice excerpt. The action writing is on point. Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I kinda wanted to turn my dining room into a library -- since we don't use it as a dining room. Seriously, we have folding tables in it and my husband works in there.

    I really enjoyed your excerpt. Great imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you turned a dining room into a library. I would totally do that. If all my walls could be covered with bookshelves- I'd probably do that too!
    Love the excerpt- you always have such descriptive prose.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're really doing a super job at meeting all your goals!

    I'd love to have a library room in a house someday, full of books from floor to ceiling., with a marble fireplace, nice furniture, and some Persian rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very productive week for you! Awesome job! MSWL was a bit time-consuming to sift through, but so much fun, right? Good luck this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on a great revising/querying week, Erin! And bookshelves always seem to turn into a Project with a capital P, don't they? I can spend hours reorganizing mine.

    Hope you have another productive week! And that prize pack looks fantastic!! Thanks for putting it together. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the snippet this week, the atmosphere in the scene is great! It's awesome that you managed to fit in so many hours of revisions and querying while you've been sorting out your new place. Good luck with this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay to making kisses count. Romance is great, but it has to move the story along...not just sit on the sideline. Yay to getting so much done. And yay to bookshelves. I'm running out of space in mine and need to start plans for new ones soon.
    Good luck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that's an intense excerpt!

    You know, I think that's why a lot of my books don't have romance - if it doesn't serve the plot, I don't try to force it (like my YA post-apocalyptic, because everyone's focused on the end of the world. :P). Best of luck with the goals this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You killed your goals last week! *high fives* And, each one of your excerpts you've shared, I've loved. Good luck this week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay for exceeding your goals this week!

    I love the excerpt. I want to read the story. NOW. *grabby hands*

    ReplyDelete